Bookkeeping Job Description Miami, Miami Beach
Bookkeeping job description – No matter what business you’re in, bookkeeping is part of the responsibilities that come with it. From an online store to a medical practice to a restaurant, all businesses big or small, have someone that handles its finances. But what does a bookkeeper do? And what does it take to be a good bookkeeper?
A quick search online for bookkeeping job description results in close to a million results, from the simplest definition to tools of the trade, salaries and qualifications. In simple terms, a bookkeeper maintains financial transaction records by establishing accounts, posting transactions and ensuring legal compliances. From preparing and processing payroll to racking inventory records to assisting with audits, it’s all in a day’s work for a bookkeeper.
- Developing a system to account for financial transactions by establishing a chart of accounts; defining bookkeeping policies and procedures.
- Maintaining subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions.
- Balancing subsidiary accounts by reconciling entries.
- Maintaining general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries.
- Balancing general ledger by preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries.
- Maintaining historical records by filing documents.
- Preparing financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Complying with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying requirements; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Contributing to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Depending on the size of the bookkeeping firm as well as the size of the business it represents, there can be added responsibilities that can overlap with accounting. That’s why many business owners choose to hire bookkeepers that are also professional accountants.
Bookkeeper Skills and Requirements
For example, Manal Oliver from Your Bookkeeping Department is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals and the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers which offers continuing education as well as certifications. Manal is also part of the Miami Beach Arts Trust, Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce, Miami Dade Gay/Lesbian Chamber of Commerce and Miami Beach Design Preservation League.
The bookkeeping job description however doesn’t stop with a greater understanding of numbers. Data entry, proficiency in specific software such as QuickBooks and great problem solving skills are part of the key competencies.
Is Bookkeeping for you?
If you have patience, a love for details, good organizational skills, then bookkeeping may be a great career path for you.
Many bookkeepers are self-employed which allows for more flexibility. Some work the regular 40 hour workweek, while some put in more hours, even working on weekends.